Aug 1, 2019

Remapping Fashion PR: How One Agency Is Changing The Rules

Every rulebook is made to be rewritten. The art of getting people to know about someone or something (marketing and public relations) has its history of change. Usually, pioneers become stars in their own right: David “the father of advertising” Ogilvy, David Axelrod as Barack Obama’s media campaigner or Harvey Levin for TMZ and celebrity reporting. Fashion PR today is synonymous with Karla Otto whose agency redefined the industry since launching in 1982. The rise of e-commerce, social media and globalization has created new opportunities for fashion talent and extra challenges for fashion PR. I met with Christian Daccache, founder of Bureau Des Créateurs, to find out how the next generation sees its role in remapping fashion, what does emerging mean in the age of Insta-everything and why meditation is a solid business practice.

It is a combination of serendipity and passion. In 2017, I took an invitation to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in Georgia. I was so overwhelmed with the amount of raw talent I saw there. I had not really heard of Lado Bokuchava, Dalood, Aleksandre Akhalkatsishvili or Tbilisi itself before. I came back inspired and wondered how many other people don’t know about the cool culture of Tbilisi or Beirut?! I saw everything with fresh eyes and recognized this similarity. It made sense to me to bring these places together under one roof. Now I represent Georgian, Lebanese and Jordanian talent. We started with fashion designers and now continue to add musicians, artists, photographers, and maybe chefs, athletes, authors next. It is a new creative map of the region for a different kind of diplomacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment