Oct 9, 2011

Tips for Early Childhood Teachers

I've spent the majority of my teaching career in the lower grades, so I know how exhausting it can be to answer zillions of questions every day from the little ones who are so inquisitive!A few hints and tips for this special area of the school:Be prepared to be tired in your first few weeks, especially if you are teaching year one! The first few weeks of 'routine making' can be really tough on both you and the kids. I would highly recommend scaling down any out side of work commitments for the first month of the school year, for your own sanity - and so you can give your very best to the studentsIf there are any problems with the students in your class, you are probably going to be the first person to break this to the parents - so expect some resistance and try not to take it too personally.
When I was a brand new teacher I remember I had to deal with a little boy who wasn't learning at the rate of the others, and the parents became really defensive about it, and I got really upset. Learn from my mistake - it is not personal, they are just worried!Keep a good supply of tissues, wet wipes, spare uniforms and a mini first aid kit in your room in case of toileting accidents. I know this might sound crazy, but for children coming to school for the first time, they may not understand that they may need to use the bathroom at school (especially for a bowel motion) and accidents happen. If you have spare uniforms on hand, you can greatly reduce the child's embarrassment, and the parents will love you for being so sensitive to the needs of the littlies. Set up your routine as early as possible. Little kids feel safe and comfortable within a predictable environment, which means less behaviour hassles for you. Keeping things routine, organised and predictable is a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment